Configurable Delimiter in CSV-Exports

Hi there,
when exporting Content to CSV files (from filters, Reports or received by email) the delimiter is set to ,
So, this file can then easily Import to Excel for further editing, sorting, reporting, etc.

However on Client Systems not running with the language set to “English” the delimiter might be some other then ,
for example, I’m using a Windows Client with German language Settings. So the default delimiter is set to ;

It would be very nice to make the CSV delimiter configurable on a per user basis.
The delimiter should then be used when exporting data to CSV from the web and for automated email notifications to that user.

Greetings,
Björn

Hello,

The import functionality has been improved and standarized on the new template, we have got a few requests for this:

1- change delimiters
2- accept custom fields on the import fields
3- deal with apostrophes by double quoting every cell

I’ll ask kris to github and put it on the backlog

Thanks Bjoern

I’m not asking for the delimiters on Input here, but on Output.

Try to open a CSV in MS Excel straight from the download on a Windows System configured with a german locale und you will see what I mean.

we will look at this, we can enclose cells in single or double quotes probably, we’ll send you over a file for you to test wiht your excel app once we get to this

https://github.com/eramba/eramba_v2/issues/1994

this is no Problem on Quotation but on the delimiter itself.
A en-us-System uses the comma as a delimiter: ,
However a de-de-System uses a semicolon as delimiter: ;

I know it sounds weird but this is a “Problem” with Excel since years. Google the web for it and you get thousands of hits.

The best solution (in my opinion) is to have a configureable Setting on a per-user-Basis on what delimiter she wants to use.

Example: https://superuser.com/questions/606272/how-to-get-excel-to-interpret-the-comma-as-a-default-delimiter-in-csv-files

1 Like

ohhhh! ok - we never heard anyone with this but now we understand the issue we’ll see what can be done.

On e3.23.0 the Settings / Delimiter setting allows you to define delimiter for exporting filters alone, the idea is we have the same option for importing csv files as well.

By default we will use “,” on both settings.

Test case:

• set “,” on both options
  • test exporting Third Parties using filter options, we should see “,”
  • download CSV template for importing “Third Party”, the file should use “,”. Complete the file, try importing and it should work
  • set ;" on both options
  • test exporting Third Parties using filter options, we should see “;”
  • download CSV template for importing “Third Party”, the file should use “;”. Complete the file, try importing and it should work

github: https://github.com/eramba/eramba/issues/1994

Changing the delimitor from , to ; doesn’t seem to work for at least the “Business Risk”, export All Pages option. Those exports still give me comma’s in column “Internal Control Treatment” when multiple controls are mapped to a risk. I tried ‘reload’ and logging out/in again.

Our control titles typically include a comma per design and as such changing the delimiter to ; would be of great help to us.

Monthy, the -Anon- Director reviews X and resolves Y before sign off
Quarterly, the -Anon- manager authorizes Y…

App Version: 3.23.2 | DB Schema Version: 20240104121424
combi

Hi Anon,

I’m based in Belgium where the default delimeter is also “;” so I am faced with same problem. I have created my workaround as follow:

• I create my CSV uploads in Excel and the fields where there is a comma’s in the title/description I put them in between double quote’s.
  • Afterwards I do a replace in NotePad ++ of the triple quotes (Excel does this automatically when exporting) to a single ( “”" => "). This fixes the problem of the comma’s in descriptions.
  • A replace of the ; => ,

Then your CSV will work as flawless with comma’s in your titles.

Hope this helps you while waiting for the fix of the delimiter.

I also noticed that the ; does not work correctly with imports even with delimiter set to ;. Currently working with compliance packages and mappings CSV imports.

Thanks Hopla – appreciated. I’m referring to the export files though. I use this export as datasource for more flexibility in our reporting and not able to split delimited cells makes reporting a time consuming task.

You are right. It is working only for the current page.
We should be able to fix it in the 3.24.0 release.

Int. ref.: https://github.com/eramba/eramba/issues/4707