Question - Problems Upgrading to c2.8.2

Question:
I am trying to update to c2.8.2 from c2.8.1. See the description below. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Background:
We have had constant headaches with the cron jobs not running automatically. If we run them manually they finish fine. As of now everything is Green in the system Heath tab, and the update to c2.8.2 button is available. When we attempt this it appears to run but just hangs with no obvious indication that anything is happening. If another admin user signs on, there is no indication that an update is in progress and the Update button is available to click.

Goal:
If I can get this update to work then we will attempt to go to 3.X run in a docker container. We would also really like to go Enterprise, but I’m not sure I can make that purchase if updates don’t work.

My workaround was to manually update the cron record in the mysql database. In the cron table, look for the latest daily and hourly entries (type field) and update the status field from ‘error’ to ‘success’. Run the health check again and it should report everything is OK. (This may take a couple browser refreshes) Check for updates and it should show c2.8.1 is available (note that the hourly cron could run again and update the latest status to error- so make sure you are not doing the update if you only have a few minutes before it runs again.)

Are you using the http crons (old style) or the CLI crons?

If the latter, the issue is usually your CLI PHP version is ancient but system health doesn’t check it (just the web server side), but the job is erroring out because of that.

What does a php -v get you on the command line?

Hi David, I work with Tom and can confirm php as below:

PHP 7.4.33 (cli) (built: Jan 13 2023 10:42:34) ( NTS )

It does seem like the Update extracts the update.tar but then just hangs indefinitely in the UI. I tried running the .php update file I found manually and I get the following error:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class ‘Phinx\Migration\AbstractMigration’ not found in /var/www/html/eramba_community/app/tmp/updates/update/app/upgrade/config/Migrations/20221124112700_Release282.php:4
Stack trace:
#0 {main}
thrown in /var/www/html/eramba_community/app/tmp/updates/update/app/upgrade/config/Migrations/20221124112700_Release282.php on line 4

Tried installing phinx on the side but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks

Aaand that quickly left my pay grade. Uhh… how’s file permissions/ownership? A missing dependency (php extension) maybe?

Hello,

We have had constant headaches with the cron jobs not running automatically.

If crons are setup correctly, this should not be an issue, most often the problem is one of the following:

• crons not setup correctly (settings/crontab)
  • crons setup for different user
  • difference between PHP cli and apache version (php.ini file)
  • problem during the run of the cron (settings/ cron history)

Using old web crons is not recommended.

We would also really like to go Enterprise, but I’m not sure I can make that purchase if updates don’t work.

Eramba came a long way from version c2.8.1, the whole core was rewritten, and also we together learned a lot of stuff. Your assumption is based on a really old version.

Now back to your problem, what @SC-CTS suggested is also a workaround that I used many times on support calls, but it is very important that crons are running because they simply need to process the data.

Here is my idea of what we can try (since this update is not running, my bet would be there are some permissions issues as @david.schroth wrote). We will try to perform the update from the command line.

• Here I uploaded for you the update package. Download it and put into server where you have eramba.
  • Navigate into eramba/app/Config and create file app_local.php or download it from here.
  • Navigate into eramba/app and run the command
    Console/cake update update /FullPathToPackageC2.8.2

Basically, what you are doing is also explained here (steps 4,5,6,7)