Question - Maintenance/Audit Recurrence Frequency

When choosing any Period for a maintenance or audit, a start date which only allows a single instance to be scheduled in the same calendar will cause any subsequent maintenance to be created for the same month and day of the next year.

For example–
Start Date: 10-01
Frequency: 2
Period: Quarter

Choosing this start date only leaves three months left in 2020 instead of the four that are needed. The function will create a maintenance/audit on 2020-10-01 and 2021-10-01.

A minor suggestion on the Periods: You may want to rename “Semester” to “Semiannual”.

hi !

yes , this is the intended behaviour (if i understood you correctly…which i might have not) … lets use your example:

This means that you want to get one testing every year and that is what eramba will do for:

• the current calendar year (2020)
  • the next calendar year (2021) … as eramba ALWAYS creates audit records for the current AND next calendar year

if you try this setting you will notice…

if i save this control i get:

if i click on 2 … i get:

… when you create a control and define an audit / maintenance (they work exactly the same way) you are telling eramba how often (period) you want EVERY YEAR (sorry for the caps, just trying to highlight this) to test controls.

I’m not sure im helping explaining how this is supposed to work…you tell us !

Thanks for the explaination. This feature isn’t particularly intuitive (to me), but I suppose now that it is explained at least I know how to use it.

With the way this operates, expired audits/maintenances will appear upon each change to the control.
Example: It is July now, but I want quarterly audits to occur starting in January of every year. There will be two expired audits created. If these are deleted and I modify the control in any way, these audits will be recreated. I suppose I could “complete” any scheduled audits, whether actually performed or not, but that is clutter. The delete button should never be used for scheduled audits.

I would agree … @sam log a ticket to see how we can improve helper texts or something to make it easier for people please.
Int. ref: https://github.com/eramba/eramba_v2/issues/2709

Yes - you might delete them i prefer to edit them and complete them as “not applicable”. both options are commonly used not to leave the control in “Yellow”

you know there are 9000 active users around the world…everyone has an opinion!!! :slight_smile:

let me jump onto this thread as I am still not 100% understanding how this works.

I intend to have a control audited once every semester. So I selected these settings:

The result is 1 audit every year? Totally confusing, what did I do wrong?

I jsut thought for a moment I understood and deleted those 2 audits and then changed it to this but the result is the same:

@j.meyer

Eramba uses these settings to create audit records for the CURRENT CALENDAR YEAR (sorry for caps, i just want to make sure this is clear)

So…your settings tell eramba:

• starting october 22nd
  • i want to have 2 audits
  • and the gap in between these two audits is “semester”

so since you are telling eramba how it should create audit records FOR THE CURRENT CALENDAR YEAR (again , sorry) eramba:

• creates one audit record on the 22nd of October
  • goes 6 months in the future and … OPPSS!! nothing, its OUT of the CURRENT CALENDAR YEAR !

your setting would work IF you change the start date from 22th october to say 22nd of March … then you will have two audits for: 22/3 and 22/9

We need a BIG WARNING when audits are programmed OUTSIDE the current calendar year so this confusion is not so confusing , @sam please github this for the release in setptember with the OA stuff marek has been working please.

When a situation like this happens:

there should be a “WARNING: Your settings imply a frequency that exceed this calendar year. Use the frequency to determine how many times every year you want to run audits, eramba will then use this frequency and create audit records entries for the current and next calendar year and beyond that as years pass by”

int. ref: https://github.com/eramba/eramba_v2/issues/2721

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry for “reviving” this thread again. I found the explanation here made it clearer understanding the logic behind this. Also find the Warning-message helpful.

I want to clarify something however, it feels like a “bug”, but maybe it is by design.

Configuring the following, my aim is to schedule activities every quarter:

But the results is like this (no entry in January next year):

I guess what is happening here is that dates are generated for this year - and all dates generated are copied as is to next year. Is this by design?

Is the “correct approach” in this case to set 14th of January as the Planned Start date, and then just delete/“complete” the entry that is generated “expired” this year? If yes - have you considered creating a filter that removes all entries “for the past”? Or maybe there are cases in which this is actually needed to be generated?

your setting is:

• start april 14th
  • count 4 times
  • every quarter

so in between April 14th and 31st December you have 8 months. You cant fit 4 quarter in that time that is why the last one is not created.

in this setting you define what happens in a standard calendar year, 1st Jan to 31st December … not a “rolling calendar” … not sure if this helps?

This is now followed here: Feature - Audit/Maintenance warning